10R140 Transmission heavy downshifts

calipup

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 Tremor
So after putting about 2k on a long trip I'm starting to notice that the truck will downshift pretty aggressively when coming to a stop. Which then causes a jerking motion for the people in the cab. I chalked it up to having a good amount of negative torque when she tries to rev match the engine but now I'm wondering if there's something else going on. Wife already is complaining about the severe downshifting and blaming my braking style. Anyone else noticing this? This is of course without a loaded bed, without towing and engine brake.

Not here. I've got about 3k miles on the clock. I initially had really hard 3-4 upshifts but that sorted out after a hundred miles or so.

I have only had one weird shift so far.... I was towing and coming up fast on a vehicle and going downhill so I let off the gas and coasted for just a brief second, saw that it was clear, so I then put the throttle to it on the coast to start passing and it acted really, really odd, almost like it really didn't know what to do for a couple seconds.... (no real acceleration just a DEAD coasting type downhill roll) then all of a sudden, it was like the "thinking lag" caught up with it and it found the right gear for the situation and took off. Kinda scared me momentarily but all was well.

Also, for reference I will be rolling over 10k miles next week. So its been good thus far.

I have had a few hard down shifts when coming to a hard stop. I will admit im not used to this tranny at all and so far trying to tell myself I like it but it will take some time I think. The feeling of having the truck want to creep forward when stopped is annoying and if your not prepared for it I find its to jumpy.

Mine only did this with a heavy load, down hill, with the engine brake on. It seemed to know I was on a steep grade. it was almost violent

Haven’t towed with mine yet so can’t comment on that aspect but definitely have had several instances where the trans didn’t seem like it knew what to do. I’m hoping it’s just still learning although I recently eclipsed 3k miles. Craziest thing mine has done has been a weird over rev thing when coasting down a fairly steep hill for 1/8 mile or so. When I get to the bottom it’s like the engine accelerates by itself (over rev I guess) and the trans is thinking I’m going WOT so it won’t upshift for a second - weird deal

Haven’t towed with mine yet so can’t comment on that aspect but definitely have had several instances where the trans didn’t seem like it knew what to do. I’m hoping it’s just still learning although I recently eclipsed 3k miles. Craziest thing mine has done has been a weird over rev thing when coasting down a fairly steep hill for 1/8 mile or so. When I get to the bottom it’s like the engine accelerates by itself (over rev I guess) and the trans is thinking I’m going WOT so it won’t upshift for a second - weird deal

very similar situation with mine while towing. The issue was during a downhill decent just as you say yours was.

I've had one rough downshift while coming to a stop when the truck has around 700 miles on it. It jerked me forward... thought I might need to see the chiropractor.

It seems the transmission likes decisive inputs of accelerator or brake. It doesn't like to coast, especially at slow speeds. Seems like its hunting for gears all the time and trying to put all that torque to work.

Has anyone heard if there is an adjustment for this?

Not here. I've got about 3k miles on the clock. I initially had really hard 3-4 upshifts but that sorted out after a hundred miles or so.

I just got my truck and am having hard downshifts from 4 to 3. Hoping this sorts itself out. Anyone had input from a dealer shop on this issue?

I was not happy with the way my truck shifted when I first got it. Harsh downshifts, delayed downshifts or a combination of both and jerking downshifts as you slow. I will say I'm approaching a 1,000 miles and it seems to be calming down. Hopefully this trend continues.

I was not happy with the way my truck shifted when I first got it. Harsh downshifts, delayed downshifts or a combination of both and jerking downshifts as you slow. I will say I'm approaching a 1,000 miles and it seems to be calming down. Hopefully this trend continues.
I think we also learn how to make better inputs with throttle / braking as time goes by and the truck learns how we do that as well so both of those tend to make it less abrupt as time goes by. I’m close to 6k miles and I’d say mine has improved quite a bit over the last couple thousand miles.

New vehicles (computers on wheels) adapt to a drivers habits over time - might have something to do with it - also can be a nuisance if there are multiple drivers (tough for the machine to adapt).....

I just got my truck and am having hard downshifts from 4 to 3. Hoping this sorts itself out. Anyone had input from a dealer shop on this issue?
Mine just sorted itself out after a few hundred miles. Never had the dealer look at it. Shifts are pretty smooth now

I've been trying to find the link, but I believe early 2020's there is a TSB for new transmission program update (In case you have an early 2020). I will say I drove my truck a lot today and it was real smooth and on point in all conditions. Have a long trip coming, so will see how it does (no towing, but people and cargo).

Mine has been good but it really can't learn my driving, I go from empty to full 17,000 load. I have had a few hard downshifts with the engine brake on down hill with heavy trailer. Other than that always very nice and not really noticeable.

You guys are right about 2nd gear, when shifting from 1st to 2nd it does kick you. I don't mind too much as long as everything is in place...hate spilling drinks from something like that. I rather like the hard shifts.

So after putting about 2k on a long trip I'm starting to notice that the truck will downshift pretty aggressively when coming to a stop. Which then causes a jerking motion for the people in the cab. I chalked it up to having a good amount of negative torque when she tries to rev match the engine but now I'm wondering if there's something else going on. Wife already is complaining about the severe downshifting and blaming my braking style. Anyone else noticing this? This is of course without a loaded bed, without towing and engine brake.
Yup I have this problem with and without towing but is sporadic

There is a service bulletin for a re-flash on the trans shifting - mine seems to have gotten better but if you’re still having issues I would ask your dealer about the software update

I have 9100 miles about 7000 is suburb/city driving.......I have never had a hard downshift.

May not be this, and just tossing this out there I haven’t used it or enabled mine but could the exhaust brake be causing this issue? I Also know the exhaust brake button if held the button down has an automatic feature that is enabled also

Back