10R140 trans pan upgrade?

thevol

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
7.3 XLT Tremor
Has anyone seen a metal pan with a drain plug yet? I just dont trust a plastic pan with "lifetime" fluid. Looking under the truck appears there is a fill plug but not sure of the procedure to fill. I like to change it every 25k or so...

Has anyone seen a metal pan with a drain plug yet? I just dont trust a plastic pan with "lifetime" fluid. Looking under the truck appears there is a fill plug but not sure of the procedure to fill. I like to change it every 25k or so...
Perhaps with time an upgrade will come out? I agree plastic pans don't exactly inspire a lot of confidence, especially given the relative prowess of the off road worthy Tremor.

There's a shop in Florida (i think) that makes motor and trans skid plates to protect the pans. I haven't seen one in the wild as yet and their website isn't the greatest but I did confirm with them that they do still offer them

l’ve used Mag-Hytec in the past. They are oversized so you can use more Fluid than stock. They come with drain plugs and a dipstick. Plus they make differential covers that are similar. I just don’t know if they make one for the new 10 speed Auto yet. But it’s probably worth a call to them.

My wife’s Infiniti QX80 also has “lifetime” transmission fluid, but the manual also tells you to get it changed at 100,000 miles...

What is the definition of lifetime?

I agree 100% flushed the tranny in my f150 every 50k and never had a problem with it. (176k, sold it to a friend and going strong) I drive pretty easy, but work my trucks hard, And keep them for a long time, so all about preventative maintenance. Definitely looking for a serviceable upgrade on this.

Not sure how we have gone backwards in maintenance. BTW I'm developing a motor oil that allows for oil change intervals at 3K. No special additives, no special filters, no special tools!! Cleaner oil and peace of mind!!
Hit me up for more details on how you can become the first to run this revolutionary new oil.

Reviving an "old" thread as this is something I'm looking into before committing to a Tremor vs. a 2021 Aisin HO 3500 Ram (with a real pan and drain plug, with recommended regular maintenance). I've got a 2002 F250 7.3 PSD I've owned new since 2001 and have drained/refilled the trans pan every 15k miles mostly, a few times only every 30k, and filter every 30k. Draining the pan gets about 1/3 of the fluid out. I've got over 250k on original trans and don't baby the truck - 4 position chip, BB turbo, etc. Not sure if I'll ever sell this truck!
I don't buy the "lifetime" crap from manufacturers. That's just lingo for "it'll be out of warranty" when you NEED to change the fluid and other parts (rebuild). So, any more success on the aftermarket pans? I'm also looking to see how hard it'll be to drop the stock pan regularly as an alternate option to a new pan. I need to crawl under a Tremor to see what else might be in the way, if anything, to get the pan off.

There is a guy on facebook (yeah I know lol) that claims to have several 7.3 10 speeds in his fleet and says the trans are going out around 90k, on two or three already. These are used to tow 10k a day, everyday. I asked him if he had changed the fluid in them and he said no but was going to start doing it at 50k to try and prevent the failures. I think the higher trans temps these new trans run along with the claim of "lifetime" fluid are going to lead to early failure but time will tell. The pan is pretty easy to get to so a change wont be that bad, but if I find an aftermarket metal pan with a drain plug I will be getting one asap, and doing a drain/refill every 25k. I keep my trucks for 10+ yrs and never get extended warranties so I want it to last.

There is a guy on facebook (yeah I know lol) that claims to have several 7.3 10 speeds in his fleet and says the trans are going out around 90k, on two or three already. These are used to tow 10k a day, everyday. I asked him if he had changed the fluid in them and he said no but was going to start doing it at 50k to try and prevent the failures. I think the higher trans temps these new trans run along with the claim of "lifetime" fluid are going to lead to early failure but time will tell. The pan is pretty easy to get to so a change wont be that bad, but if I find an aftermarket metal pan with a drain plug I will be getting one asap, and doing a drain/refill every 25k. I keep my trucks for 10+ yrs and never get extended warranties so I want it to last.
If you do find an aftermarket pan anywhere can you please post it up here as I would be interested as well. Thanks.

Reviving an "old" thread as this is something I'm looking into before committing to a Tremor vs. a 2021 Aisin HO 3500 Ram (with a real pan and drain plug, with recommended regular maintenance). I've got a 2002 F250 7.3 PSD I've owned new since 2001 and have drained/refilled the trans pan every 15k miles mostly, a few times only every 30k, and filter every 30k. Draining the pan gets about 1/3 of the fluid out. I've got over 250k on original trans and don't baby the truck - 4 position chip, BB turbo, etc. Not sure if I'll ever sell this truck!
I don't buy the "lifetime" crap from manufacturers. That's just lingo for "it'll be out of warranty" when you NEED to change the fluid and other parts (rebuild). So, any more success on the aftermarket pans? I'm also looking to see how hard it'll be to drop the stock pan regularly as an alternate option to a new pan. I need to crawl under a Tremor to see what else might be in the way, if anything, to get the pan off.
I would recommend flushing the trans fluid at about a 30k interval. The temps these trans run at is detrimental to fluid. At 220 F the fluid life is cut by about 30%. A new high capacity pan sounds good but in the long run once it gets to high temp it will take even longer to return to normal temp because of the larger volume of fluid to cool. As far as the drain and fill goes it's is better than nothing but you are actually contaminating the new fluid you add with the old fluid that is used up. My analogy is how many of you guys drain 1/3 of your engine oil and add new oil to your old oil. You don't because it doesn't make sense. My recommendation is to do a complete fluid exchange / flush and replace ALL the fluid each time and you don't need to drain the pan to do it. Have this done by a shop using BG products and you get a lifetime guarantee on the trans as long as it is done at 30k intervals. This lifetime warranty covers up to $4000 of repairs and there is no charge for this warranty, it comes with the products. Go to bgfindashop.com and don't be surprised to see that the majority of the shops are Franchised OEM Dealers. I definitely will be doing mine, my 09 F350 6.4l had 189k when I sold it, towed often and never had an issue. My experienced 2 cents.

Just my take from my experiences... But when I've had two previous trucks flushed (Ford Ranger in college and then a Ram1500 later) both trannies failed within a few thousand miles. Now the flushing system you're mentioning may not cause this, but I am just going by my experiences. Full fluid change is probably better every time. But without the proper equipment (my driveway) I have fouind that a simple and regular pan drain and refill has kept fresh lubricants and fresh solvent agents in my trans. on two trucks that has kept both trannies working well.

The oil analogy isn't totally accurate either. The main reason that you have to change motor oil is because of the acids that form from the combustion vapors getting mixed with the oil.

The main killer of transmission fluid is the heat but it does reach a point that it is unable to dilute and absorb sludge and varnish causing contaminants and at this point it loses it's ability to act as a solvent.

I do agree on the larger capacity issue - I'd prefer to have the stock capacity in an aftermarket pan. More fluid isn't always a better thing. My old F250 has its stock pan (with drain plug). My Raptor didn't have a drain plug, so an aftermarket pan was installed (with more capacity - ugh).

The way I use to service my transmissions, I can't do on these trucks.

Take off a return line and drop it into bucket and have wife start vehicle while I'm under the hood adding fresh fluid.
When the fluid being pumped out turns pretty pink, turn off vehicle.

Gonna guess the procedure will be much like servicing a rear-end or transfer case.
A drain bolt and fill bolt and fluid will require pumping in until it starts running out......guessing.

I'll know at 50K cause I'm doing something.

Higher capacity pans have been proven to lighted your wallet. NO substantial improvements are had with "more fluid".

Has anyone looked into this as a possible solution? Their description/write up is rather convincing...?

Has anyone looked into this as a possible solution? Their description/write up is rather convincing...?

I've seen those and they look like a good idea, but its not clear if they work on the 10 speed, might be worth an email to them to see...

Back