10R140 – Harsh Engagement/Harsh Shift/Delayed Shift With Or Without DTCs

I would highly recommend getting the ESP. BUT be warned, it's far far from perfect. It's like I am dealing with a 3rd party warranty, not Ford.

Dealer has been working on Trans for 15 days now. I got the call "Oh by the way, your rental runs out on day 10"
Me: But my truck is not fixed
Dealer/ Ford ESP: Tuff, 10 days is the contract.
Me: But you guys went back and forth for days with each other dickering over what is to be fixed.
Dealer/ Ford ESP: Tuff, 10 days is the contract.
Me: Mr. Dealer you only have one tech and he was out for a couple of days. My truck sat and no one was working on it
Dealer: Tuff, 10 days is the contract.
Should take more than 4 days for parts and 2 days for r & r. They probably slipped someone else's vehicle in and/or just don't know what they're doing...gl

Also, warranty company could be playing games or something? Dealer might be waiting for the payment till they do the job?

Jokes on the consumer unfortunately despite spending a small fortune on their vehicles

22' 6.7 here

I've noticed now that I have had a chance to drive my truck more and get used to the characteristics, it seems to have troubles making a 3rd ->5th shift.

Nothing extreme, but some times it'll have a pronounced shift flare or it'll give me a bit of a jolt when it makes the 3-5 transition. It usually happens when I'm slowly easing into the throttle from a slow roll or stop (which is probably why I mostly notice it happening when I'm driving through our subdivision)

Anyone else notice issue with 3-5 shift?
Yours still doing it? My 7.3 is every time it sits for a little?

I haven't noticed it being an issue since my TCM was updated.

You might want to check with your dealer and see if they can update your truck.

My 22 7.3 shifts hard on 3-5 all the time or will struggle to find it. Very frustrating. My local Ford dealer has been the pits on servicing vehicles so not sure what to do.

Tagging into this thread, my 2021 (about to roll over 52k miles) has started to exhibit some of these issues on the 3-5 shift. Happens mostly when I'm taking off under light throttle and slowly ramp into heavier throttle input it really slams that 3-5 shift home. Have some travel coming up where the truck will sit so it's probably going to the dealership since I'll be coming up on that warranty period in the next year or so.

Anyone have opinions here as far as who's better in SoCal, seems like Galpin and Price Ford of Simi Valley are the biggest ones in the area. Either one better? flip a coin? I'm definitely not taking it to the AutoNation here in Valencia, I briefly flirted with getting a used Raptor from them last year and when I asked them if it had had the phaser recall performed (or if they could check), I just got a blank stare with visible confusion and a "we'll check in on that and get back to you" (narrators voice: "and they never did get back to him").

Mine goes back in tomorrow to have the transmission looked at again. Downshifting from 5-3 is the worse and over the summer it really started shifting bad through 8,9&10 at times. I already had the trans update done, so will see what they do next. They told me last time they would replace the valve body, will see. This cdf drum issue that seems to be a problem has me concerned though. I had planned to keep this truck for a long time, but I doubt I will keep it past powertrain warranty at this point.

Got my truck back from dealer. Their tech acknowledge the issue and experienced a couple of bad shifts. They checked the transmission fluid level and for metal, both passed. The truck also showed no powertrain faults. It also already has TSB 21-240 for the transmission done.

They then did the PCM/TCM recall (22E04) that has been talked about on this forum to my truck and retested. After driving it several times the issue did not return.

I am a little skeptical, however I did notice a big difference right out of the box on the ride home. The transmission was not clunky and went up and down through the gears smooth. The biggest thing I noticed, other than 1-to-3, no more skip shifting. It went through every gear up and down. I hope this stays.

Only time will tell, initially when I had TSB 21-240 the transmission was smoother, but got clunky and rough over time.

I had 22E04 done and was amazed at the difference when I picked up the truck. It shifted smoothly and did not skip shift. Now it is back to having the clunk from park or reverse to drive and skip shifts again.

I had 22E04 done and was amazed at the difference when I picked up the truck. It shifted smoothly and did not skip shift. Now it is back to having the clunk from park or reverse to drive and skip shifts again.
Well that sucks, seems these transmission learn bad habits or something else is going on.

When I had the TSB done other than the skip shift part, the transmission was immediately smoother but got worse over time.

I'm wondering and interested in maybe resetting adaption tables, letting it adapt for a week or two, then turning off adaption via ForScan. Essentially locking in a learned behavior vs continuously adapting

can that be done? turning off the learn function to lock in a shift scheme?

I'm wondering and interested in maybe resetting adaption tables, letting it adapt for a week or two, then turning off adaption via ForScan. Essentially locking in a learned behavior vs continuously adapting
I’ve not heard of this, but if possible it would surely be worth trying.

I’ve not heard of this, but if possible it would surely be worth trying.
So Ford IDS can do it, it was recently an option I saw under ForScan but I have yet to try it. I know it's been an option for earlier Ford trucks as well in the past.

I personally believe a lot of this weird behavior comes from adaptive/skip shifting programming in these trucks. I am tempted as others have done, is just run tow haul mode all the time. The shifting strategy as well as no skip shifting is just way better. Towing every weekend all summer long, I only got one bad bump shift.

My friend drives a Ford Transit for work and drives in tow haul mode all the time, because the standard shift strategy is so bad.

I personally believe a lot of this weird behavior comes from adaptive/skip shifting programming in these trucks. I am tempted as others have done, is just run tow haul mode all the time. The shifting strategy as well as no skip shifting is just way better. Towing every weekend all summer long, I only got one bad bump shift.

My friend drives a Ford Transit for work and drives in tow haul mode all the time, because the standard shift strategy is so bad.
I concur, all it takes is a few awkward shifts and pedal inputs and I think it starts to go to shit. It's almost like the memory never purges or never dumps old cache/data and gets overloaded and just full of 1s and 0s; kind of like the most recent sync update that finally got it to purge RAM/KAM after so many days or whatever it was to keep it from freezing and locking up.

I concur, all it takes is a few awkward shifts and pedal inputs and I think it starts to go to shit. It's almost like the memory never purges or never dumps old cache/data and gets overloaded and just full of 1s and 0s; kind of like the most recent sync update that finally got it to purge RAM/KAM after so many days or whatever it was to keep it from freezing and locking up.
Kind of like any pos windows operating system, the longer you run them, the slower and more glitchy they get. Gotta clear everything out and start clean to function normally.

It's NOT adaptive learning, pcm update or valve body. IT'S THE CDF DRUM...

It can and WILL be an issue with ALL 2020-? that have the old design. Why else would Ford redesign it, if it was just some random problem??? Sooner you get it done, better off you'll be.

For reference, issue noticed since September 2021.

Don't disagree, when I drove mine yesterday, I got bad 5-3 several times again. With no codes present, I do not know what to do. I am going to make another appointment for it. It definitely is worse when the tempature goes below freezing. Personally I think mine is suffering from a sticking valve body. That has also been an issue with these transmissions. The weird part with mine it will be fine one day and the next it will shift like total shit. Most of my problems result from slowing down and as it comes back through the gears I get harsh/firm shifts. The worst is 5-3. If it continues this course I am going to dump it, which I am not happy about as it is paid off.

Back