10 speed shifting questions.

the 10 speed on my 6.7 shifts like the 10 speed in my dads Freightshaker roll off truck...skips gears and finds gears as needed..smooth shifts, sometimes before I would..but no complaints..

My 10 speed shifts erratically as well. My 7.3 has about 4600 miles and hasnt changed since day one. Im not impressed- and with the constant over compensation with “death wobble”, i wonder if i made a mistake. A 70K mistake. Im sure its just my misfortune as other members on this site have zero issues
Sale it now, why it’s value is still great!

Really liking the SD 10-speed so far. Smooth, predictable shifts up and down. Love the way the 6.7 sounds when pulling through gears from a stop.

Mine shifts a bit rough and erratic. Particularly when upshifting in low gears. But feels within reason for a heavy-duty truck. I’m contrasting to our family vehicles that shift butter smooth to make the “rough” determination.

Does feel much better when towing.

My last 4 vehicles were manuals so it was hard for me to move to an auto, and I honestly still hate that I couldn't have bought this truck in a manual, BUT for an auto it is great. Mine shifts really smooth.

I do find in really hilly terrain it can do a bit of gear seeking. Like going up in to the Santa Monica mountains the speed limit is 50 but there are some fairly steep grades. It will settle into 8th gear uphill at 50 or so but then if it gets steeper it will start losing speed bc the tranny seems to be trying to prioritize mpg over dropping a gear to keep speed. I'll find myself having to give the accelerator a more deliberate push than I feel I should need to to force it to drop a gear. If it starts annoying me though I just use the select shift thing and set the max gear at 7 on those hills and I always have enough power without needing to force a down shift with my foot.

My 10 speed shifts erratically as well. My 7.3 has about 4600 miles and hasnt changed since day one. Im not impressed- and with the constant over compensation with “death wobble”, i wonder if i made a mistake. A 70K mistake. Im sure its just my misfortune as other members on this site have zero issues
I'm betting your truck falls in the production window that has a recall on the transmissions. You can probably get a new tranny out of the situation.

The raptor transmission and the Super Duty transmissions are completely different, including programming.

Regarding function, I've got nearly 600 miles on mine and it's the smoothest shifting transmission I've ever driven and has been since day one. Hardly feel the shifts, and nothing erratic about the way it operates. I couldn't be more pleased at this point.

The 6.7 is a better match for the 10 speed tranny than the 7.3. Smoother, not as jerky through the gears.

I also really dislike the jerky shifting of this tranny paired with the dead pedal at times. ughhhhh. I did the 5 star 87 daily tow tune but if im not towing its still terrible most of the time. Towing its great. Loaded the 87 performance and not a big fan of how jumpy it is. Cant seem to love this set up no matter what i do yet. Dealer checked my Vin# and no recall yet listed for mine.

Any jerkey shifting / transmission feel that I notice I believe is due to the converter being locked up more often than we are used to. The clutches and more frequently locked up converter is good for mitigating heat and dealing with the huge horsepower, torque and towing numbers we are dealing with.

A transmission from not too long ago that could hold on to 1050 torque would need to be built and would likely punch you every time it shifted.

I loved the 6 speed in my 17' and so far I am happy with the 10 speed in my 21'

I assume that the Tremor has the same 10 speed tranny as my Raptor does so my question to you guys does it shift as crazy as it does on my Raptor? It constantly seems like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in and has some very hard downshifts from 8th to 7th and then to 6th gear. It's better with MPTs 93 performance tune with their transmission mods but still annoying from time to time. My wife hates driving my truck because of the quirky shifting. Thanks, Mike
Your Tremor has a completely different tranny than your Raptor F150...developed and built by FORD....there are NO shared components.....so lets start there!

New 6.7 truck, less than 200 miles. Mine skips gear 2 and 4. Not sure if I’ve ever seen it hit those gears. Shifts smooth in 5-10, but the first 2 shifts into 3rd and 5th are bumpy. Is this normal?

Reactions: DIG
New 6.7 truck, less than 200 miles. Mine skips gear 2 and 4. Not sure if I’ve ever seen it hit those gears. Shifts smooth in 5-10, but the first 2 shifts into 3rd and 5th are bumpy. Is this normal?
Normal! It’s learning.

Normal! It’s learning.

The “learning” these transmissions do is very elementary, and shouldn't really take 200 miles of normal driving. But could run an explicit “adaptive learning drive cycle” to verify and see if anything changes:

On a level road surface:
  1. Using the scan tool, clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and Transmission Adaptive Tables.
  2. Drive the vehicle until the engine and transmission reach normal operating temperature.
  3. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that upshifts 1st through 8th occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.
  4. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51-61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.
  5. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.
  6. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
  7. Shift the transmission to Reverse. Wait 2 seconds.
  8. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.
  9. Shift the transmission to Drive. Wait 2 seconds.
  10. Repeat Steps 3 through 9 six additional times.

I had a 2019 Raptor and the transmission was ALWAYS smooth as silk but on the Raptor forums some people reported erratic shifting and the advice there was to have the dealer do a reset of the computer that controlled the transmission and the problem would always disappear. Something about you forced the computer to relearn with the reset.

I assume that the Tremor has the same 10 speed tranny as my Raptor does so my question to you guys does it shift as crazy as it does on my Raptor? It constantly seems like it doesn't know what gear it wants to be in and has some very hard downshifts from 8th to 7th and then to 6th gear. It's better with MPTs 93 performance tune with their transmission mods but still annoying from time to time. My wife hates driving my truck because of the quirky shifting. Thanks, Mike
I have never had this issue on my 22 Tremor.

The “learning” these transmissions do is very elementary, and shouldn't really take 200 miles of normal driving. But could run an explicit “adaptive learning drive cycle” to verify and see if anything changes:

1100 miles on my 6.7 and runs smooth as silk.

This bulletin supersedes 21-2049. Reason for update: New Part/Procedure For Same Condition

Model:

Ford
2020 F-Super Duty
Transmission/Transaxle: (10R140)

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 21-2049 to update the Issue, Action and Service Procedure.

Issue: Some 2020 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 10R140 automatic transmission may exhibit a harsh engagement/harsh shift/delayed shift. It is possible the vehicle may also have an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) and diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0729, P0731, P0732, P0733, P0734, P0735, P0736, P076F, P07D9, P07F7, P2700, P2701, P2702, P2703, P2704 and/or P2705 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) or transmission control module (TCM). This may be due to sticking valves in the main control valve body. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to perform the transmission accelerated main control break-in routine for the appropriate clutches and/or overhaul main control valve body.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

NOTE: Part quantity refers to the number of that service part number required, which may be different than the number of individual pieces. Service part numbers contain 1 piece unless otherwise stated. "As Needed" indicates the part is required but the number may vary or is not a whole number; parts can be billed out as non-whole numbers, including less than 1. "If Needed" indicates the part is not mandatory.

Parts

Service Part NumberQuantityDescription
W712658-S439​
1​
LPC Retaining Plate Bolt
Package Contains 4 Pieces, 1 Piece Required​
LC3Z-7A008-E​
1​
MCA Separator Plate Kit (Fixed Yoke)
-​
LC3Z-7A008-F​
1​
MCA Separator Plate Kit (Slip Yoke)
-​
LC3Z-7G007-A​
6​
Shift Solenoid Retainers (Small)
Package Contains 1 Piece, 6 Pieces Required​
JM5Z-7G007-A​
1​
Shift Solenoid Retainer (Large)
-​
XT-12-QULV​
As Needed​
Motorcraft® MERCON® ULV Automatic Transmission Fluid
-​
Parts To Inspect And Replace Only If Necessary
LC3Z-7F396-B​
If Needed​
Fluid Pan Gasket
-​
LC3Z-7G186-A​
If Needed​
Fluid Filter
-​
LC3Z-7N265-A​
If Needed​
Main Control Manifold Seal
-​
LC3Z-7N265-B​
If Needed​
Fluid Pump Gasket
-​

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

Labor Times

DescriptionOperation No.Time
2020 F-Super Duty 10R140 Transmission: Retrieve DTCs, Check Vehicle Build Date And Overhaul The Main Control Valve Body (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212317A​
4.5 Hrs.​
2020 F-Super Duty 10R140 Transmission: Retrieve DTCs, Check Vehicle Build Date And Perform The Transmission Accelerated Main Control Break-In Routine Repair Complete (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212317B​
2.0 Hrs.​
2020 F-Super Duty 10R140 Transmission: Retrieve DTCs, Check Vehicle Build Date And Perform The Transmission Accelerated Main Control Break-In Routine Overhaul The Main Control Valve Body (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
212317C​
6.1 Hrs.​
Repair/Claim Coding

Causal Part:7A100
Condition Code:49

Service Procedure

1. Is the vehicle built on or before 10-Feb-2021, equipped with a 6.7L engine and has only DTC P07F6 stored?

(1). Yes - this article does not apply. Refer to other service articles for this condition.

(2). No - proceed to Step 2.

2. Is the vehicle built on or before 01-Apr-2020, equipped with a 6.2L/7.3L engine and has only DTC P07F7 stored?

(1). Yes - this article does not apply. Refer to other service articles for this condition.

(2). No - proceed to Step 3.

3. Are any transmission related DTCs present?

(1). Yes - determine the appropriate clutch(s) to be cycled related to DTCs present. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 307-01.

(2). No - determine the appropriate clutch(s) to be cycled related to symptoms present. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.

4. Record and clear all DTCs present before performing the PCM/TCM - Transmission Accelerated Main Control Break In routine.

caution.gif
CAUTION: Failure to use a frame engaging lift could damage the vehicle.

5. Prepare vehicle for the PCM/TCM Transmission Accelerated Main Control Break In routine by positioning on a frame-engaging lift with wheels off the ground to prevent vehicle movement.

6. Using the latest software level of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool, perform the PCM/TCM - Transmission Accelerated Main Control Break In routine 3 times on the appropriate clutch(s) determined to be cycled.

7. Perform the adaptive learning drive cycle. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.

NOTE: Advise the customer this vehicle is equipped with an adaptive transmission shift strategy which allows the vehicle's computer to learn the transmission's unique parameters and improve shift quality. When the adaptive strategy is reset, the computer will begin a relearning process. This relearning process may result in firmer than normal upshifts and downshifts for several days.

8. Does the vehicle still exhibit the condition after performing the PCM/TCM - Transmission Accelerated Main Control Break In routine and adaptive learning drive cycle?

(1). Yes - overhaul (clean and inspect) the main control valve body. Refer to WSM, Section 307-01.

(2). No - repair is complete.

I’m still kind of an idiot in forum operations. But fordguy had a good post on this topic.

Latest Discussions

Back