10 speed failures

One concern i have is i did have a 5star tune running for a bit but since it did not fix the shifting enough i chose to go back to stock. This was 3-4000 km ago. Is there anyway Ford can see this being done?

If you had it connected to ford pass then it could have flagged something in their system.

Not sure which dealer you are using, however loaner cars are few and far in between right now. I had to deal with this over the last couple months with my wife's exploder. Escalate to the service manager and they will help you out but you most likely will end up with a SUV instead of a truck. On the last 2 visits we had, they were trying to schedule the loaner cars with specific customers as they only had a couple. If the service manager can't help give the dealer/store manager a call, they really want to see smiles from their customers and are able to pull more strings to make things happen.
I have 2,600 miles on mine seems to shift great really impressive when accelerating hard hopefully doesn’t turn to crap !!

One concern i have is i did have a 5star tune running for a bit but since it did not fix the shifting enough i chose to go back to stock. This was 3-4000 km ago. Is there anyway Ford can see this being done?
I don’t think there’s anything specifically stating an aftermarket tune was done, but there are likely things kicking around to point them in that direction if they choose to interpret them that way.

For example, a date stamp for when the computer was last flashed. If that date doesn’t correspond with service work they could suspect an aftermarket tune.

7.3 owner here.... When I am driving around with passengers, I usually switch to "Eco" mode. Not because I am trying to save fuel but because the shift pattern seems to be a bit more gentle though it is far from perfect. It seems like the "Normal" mode wasn't really designed for an unloaded truck. The downshifting, holding onto gears after acceleration, etc. just doesn't seem right for an empty truck. If feels much better with weight in or behind the truck. It would be great if we had the option of "Unloaded" mode.

So mine is ‘21, 7.3, and shifts horribly. From 9 to 8 under any load is a slam into gear. Starting out from stop, with a steady throttle, it searches for a gear, jumping from 1 to 3, then maybe hits 4 to quickly jump to 5, then you may be at 45 mph and its in 10 already, only to drop if let off gas. I know in some earlier threads, esp with the 7.3, folks said it tries to get to 10 fast, better fuel mileage. Not sure about all that, but am sure Im not really a fan as it is now.
I've got a '21 7.3, the shifting isn't too bad, not as smooth as I'd like though. However, all these posts got me thinking: What "mode" are you driving in? Eco, normal, etc.? Could have something to do with the tranny looking for the right gear. Have any of you with the real bad problems tried changing drive modes? Just curious.

I've got a '21 7.3, the shifting isn't too bad, not as smooth as I'd like though. However, all these posts got me thinking: What "mode" are you driving in? Eco, normal, etc.? Could have something to do with the tranny looking for the right gear. Have any of you with the real bad problems tried changing drive modes? Just curious.
Normal mode mostly, although eco mode is same

I just got my truck back tonight from having the transmission replaced. The clutch pointed out around 5 minutes into this video was my exact issue.

Mine did shift rough but nothing terrible, our biggest issue was the extreme lurching from Park to Drive or Park to Reverse. It jumped like crazy, I had gotten used to it over time and it always did it from the day I picked it up new in January but it definitely got worse over time.

My truck was with Ford for 34 days in total, around a week in they provided a rental F150 which I was bake to use for around 3 weeks.

The first fix was a relearn, then they replaced the Valve Body, then went after the clutch mentioned in the video followed by a completely new transmission. It drives amazing now, better than when new.

Good luck guys. If it helps my truck is a 2021 7.3 built in November of 2020.

I took delivery of ‘21 6.7 in March and a ‘22 6.7 3 weeks ago. Both shift smooth as butter. When not towing and in “normal” setting, it does skip from 1 to 3 to 5 to 7 from a dead stop. Always assumed that was by design when rpm’s weren’t needed to move a load. Downshifting to a stop is just as smooth.

I took delivery of ‘21 6.7 in March and a ‘22 6.7 3 weeks ago. Both shift smooth as butter. When not towing and in “normal” setting, it does skip from 1 to 3 to 5 to 7 from a dead stop. Always assumed that was by design when rpm’s weren’t needed to move a load. Downshifting to a stop is just as smooth.
Exact same experience with my ‘22 7.3 so far. Only 1500 miles in. Hope it stands the test of time.

My 2020 with low miles is making noise that's coming from the trans pan; sounds like loose parts.
I'm bringing it to the dealer before we use it again.

Is it a knocking sound? Mine sometimes makes a knocking noise in that area. Worried for sure. Appoitment next week

My dealership mentioned the cost invested in my transmission issues exceeded $10k. Definitely happy I am within my warranty.

I would highly recommend taking your trucks in if anything feels odd with the transmission to at least have it documented while within the warranty period.

Sounds like loose parts.
Mine too. At idle when I'm under the truck it sounds like ball bearings rolling around. I'm not kidding. November of 2020 build. It also has the ticking sound at idle when you're sitting in the cab with the windows down in an enclosed area. I took it in for that and they told me that was normal sounding. It was the same sound that was on that one guys video about his bad transmission, something to do with the chain drive fluid pump maybe? I can't remember. His video was the prominent one about the transmission problems early on.

My ‘22 7.3 shifts really smooth. I’m not in traffic much. Typically 55-70 on my commute. Plenty of curves and slow downs along the way. I’ve picked up on it skipping gears but wouldn’t really notice without the display. The only thing that compares to an aggressive shift has occurred when backing off throttle then getting back on it. That feeling kind of reminded my of aggressive shifts on my ‘74 K5.

Eco mode seems pointless wish they would have given us sport mode like the f150s

I just got my truck back tonight from having the transmission replaced. The clutch pointed out around 5 minutes into this video was my exact issue.

Mine did shift rough but nothing terrible, our biggest issue was the extreme lurching from Park to Drive or Park to Reverse. It jumped like crazy, I had gotten used to it over time and it always did it from the day I picked it up new in January but it definitely got worse over time.

My truck was with Ford for 34 days in total, around a week in they provided a rental F150 which I was bake to use for around 3 weeks.

The first fix was a relearn, then they replaced the Valve Body, then went after the clutch mentioned in the video followed by a completely new transmission. It drives amazing now, better than when new.

Good luck guys. If it helps my truck is a 2021 7.3 built in November of 2020.

Was the lurching from Park to Drive a symptom of the transmission failing? Mine is terrible that way. You best have your foot firmly on the brake!

My ‘22 7.3 shifts really smooth. I’m not in traffic much. Typically 55-70 on my commute. Plenty of curves and slow downs along the way. I’ve picked up on it skipping gears but wouldn’t really notice without the display. The only thing that compares to an aggressive shift has occurred when backing off throttle then getting back on it. That feeling kind of reminded my of aggressive shifts on my ‘74 K5.

Eco mode seems pointless wish they would have given us sport mode like the f150s
Double tap on the traction control button, it turns off advancetrac and turns on sport mode.

Back